Friday, September 12, 2008

Medicare Fraud

September 7, 2008

Medicare Fraud:

I needed a Suction Machine for my handicapped son, as he can’t cough and spit out things when he gets choked up. I called a medical supply place in my home town. When I got hold of them, I told them I needed a suction machine, before I could really say anything, they asked if I had Medicare coverage (I guess they could tell by my voice that I was elderly) I said yes. I asked how much the machine would cost. The immediately told me that Medicare would pay would pay $200.00 a month for 13 months, I told them I didn’t want to rent one, I wanted to buy one. They told me that after 13 months it would be mine. They told me I would have to have a doctors prescription, which I knew. $2600.00????

I them called a medical supply company in Fort Worth, Texas, just told them I wanted to buy a suction machine (with the 2 tubes and the mouth piece) and asked how much it would cost. They told me $395.00 plus separate pieces. I asked where it was made, as I didn’t want one made in China. She told me. Didn’t ask if I had insurance, but did say I had to have a doctors prescription. I told her I would get the prescription and come get it.

I called another medical supply in Fort Worth, went through the same thing. Their price was $511.00, I asked where it was made as I didn’t want one made in China. It was made in the US, also I had to have a doctors prescription. Told her I would get the doctors prescription and get back with her.

I then called Medicare and sat down for my wait. A young man finally came on. I told him I had called a medical supply to ask about a suction machine. And they told me that Medicare would pay $200.00 a month for 13 months and then it would be mine. He said that’s not exactly right, we pay $200.00 a month for 3 months, then $150.00 for 10 months. $2100.00? That $500.00 difference I would probably have to pay up front to the medical supply. I told him that in deference to my age I wanted him to listen to me. I asked him why Medicare allowed these companies to screw Medicare and we citizens? He said that’s the way the system is set up. I told him I could go buy one for as little as $395.00, plus $5.10, a total of $400.10. I would have to go pick it up. It would not be delivered as the one for $2600.00 or $2100.00. As far as I am concerned the difference in $400.10 and $2600.00 or $2100.00 is a hellva delivery charge. That would be a profit for the medical supply of $2199.00 or $1699.90. Someone in authority needs to put a stop to this fraud. Do you know anyone who could do it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think your letters and stories are great.
Rebel Jenkins